The Elder and Disability Law Firm, APC
5 steps to choose the perfect nursing home
It doesn't matter if you're choosing a nursing home for yourself, your spouse or an aging loved one, there are many steps you can take to move through the process in an efficient and stress-free manner.
Here are five things you absolutely need to do:
- Consider what's important to you: This is the first thing to think about, as it will put you on the path to the best decision. Some details to consider include meals, type of care, religious connection and proximity to friends and family.
- Ask around for more information: This starts with contacting the nursing home for information on services, pricing and other important details. From there, discuss your short list with friends, family members, social workers and anyone else who can provide feedback and assistance.
- Visit the nursing home: It's best to visit a minimum of three nursing home facilities, when possible, before making a final decision. Doing so gives you the opportunity to understand the layout, interact with staff and ask key questions. Even if you're in a hurry to make a decision, this is one step you don't want to ignore.
- Take a follow-up visit to your final choice: Once you make a decision, don't finalize it until you visit one more time in person. This gives you the opportunity to really dig in, ensuring that it's the right choice.
- Understand what comes next: For example, carefully review the contract before signing on the dotted line. Also, ask questions if there is something you don't fully understand. And, of course, don't hesitate to have another set of eyes review the contract so that you don't overlook something of importance.
It's never easy to choose a nursing home, even if you're not the person who will be living there. Not only is it a big personal decision, but it can have a far-reaching financial impact as well.
When it comes to estate planning and elder law, the right strategy can be the difference between success and failure. As you learn more about your options and legal rights, you'll come to better understand which steps you should and shouldn't take. For more information on elder law, nursing homes and specific details such as Medi-Cal, visit our website today.